Check out the consultant's findings on facility options below.

Option 2b: Two Archives sites (one Leased)

Similar to Option 2a, Option 2b involves the distribution of major components of the Archives.

  • The public-facing component will act as a “storefront” and will be a leased facility that is centrally located in Winnipeg in order to be accessible by the majority of Winnipeggers. It will house a part (approximately 25%) of the collection, along with public programming spaces such as a multi-purpose lobby area, classroom, and a reading room.
  • The majority of the collection (approximately 75%) and the specialist Archival spaces (Processing, Digitization Lab, Conservation Lab, and Cold Storage) would be an offsite location, presumably at a lower cost than the downtown location.
Key Features
Similar to Option 2a, except downtown site (storefront) would be leased.
Also includes an offsite location to store the majority of the collection.
Includes climate-controlled vault for 25% of holdings onsite (remaining 75% at separate facility)
Supports current and improved program needs.
Benefits
Smaller storefront easier and quicker to secure.
Includes 20-year growth horizon, potential for lower upfront costs.
Drawbacks
Assumes long-term lease option is available, space/equipment/staffing duplication over two sites.
Clients may need to request records 1-3 days in advance.
Risk of loss and damage to records due to frequent transport
Significant work needed to transition to this model of service delivery.
Unknowns
Availability of leased space downtown and site for offsite location.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link